Where has the year gone??? I’m not sure, but I know that school holidays will be upon us before we know it.
As much as I would love to lie on the beach for the whole school holidays or go exploring somewhere new every day, it is never going to happen.
So how do you keep the boys happy, you sane, minimize the mess in the house, have fun, and make some memories while you’re at it?
Most people schedule time in their calendar to head to a holiday destination but what about the small stuff? The stuff that can make or break the weeks on end of school holidays.
Thankfully, we’ve come up with a plan to help you get the most out of school holidays without breaking the bank (or your mind)! The bonus is, it’s really simple.
Surviving School Holidays
Get out your calendar. If you haven’t done it already, mark on there all the things you absolutely have to do over the holidays. Go to work, visit grandma, see the dentist, drink wine!
Identify some time in every week of the holidays that you can go somewhere new. It may be a few hours one week, and a couple of days the next week.
Sit down with your family and get everyone to make suggestions of new places you can visit. Pick things that interest you and are within your budget.
Here are some ideas:
- Have a picnic in a park you’ve never been to
- Explore a nature trail on foot or bike
- Feed animals or pick produce on a local farm
- Head along to Christmas activities in your town or a town close by
- Take a look at a map to see what towns and attractions can be done in a day trip
- Check out your local media for what’s on – family cooking classes, science shows, handball tournaments, family sports days, circus classes, etc
- Take a look at your regional tourism body’s website and some of your favourite blogs (like ours!) for some more great ideas.
There is no limit to what you could do. Big or small, it’s not important. But try to make it something new.
Write it in your calendar and make it happen.
One thing to remember is this is for your family. It’s not a competition to see who can do the most. It’s there to help you get the most out of school holidays, so they don’t pass you by in a blur of tinsel and dirty socks.
We are going to be doing this plan over the holidays, to make sure the fun stuff doesn’t fall through the cracks when life gets crazy. We’ll keep you updated on how we go with our plan and we would love to see some of the things you guys are planning to do as well.